Friday, August 8, 2008

Describing Oneself

The Caterpillar's back. Did I not mention that?

She was planning on visiting last week when she was offered a research position that required her to move from California back to (where else?) this freedom-loving, humidity-stifled, cherry-blossom-adorned, oft-douche-ridden former swampland and tourist mecca. Thus, plane tickets were changed, couches were crashed, house-hunts were started. DC has officially reclaimed what is rightfully ours.

In searching for a short-term apartment rental on the ol' Craigslist, the Caterpillar had trouble answering the question "So, what do you do outside of work?" She thought this to be a ridiculous question, as most people would likely answer in the exact same fashion. Hang out with friends, watch TV/movies, read, dine out, go to happy hours and to the gym (although, if you're like me, it's many more happy hours than gym trips).

I almost want to start asking people this question, in the hopes that one day I will be provided with an entertaining answer. In the hopes that someday someone will reply, "Um, I juggle." Or "I'm big into skeet-shooting." Or, god willing, "I'm the don of an organized hill-staffer crime ring. We're responsible for the city's seersucker explosion."

Perhaps I'm asking too much.

No comments: